Friday, August 6, 2010

south carolina

After the weekend festivities for my grandmother's birthday, the six of us took off to wild dunes on isle of palms for the rest of the week. Kevin and Brian had to leave tuesday evening, but we managed to get in some beach time and a dinner out first. Though the weather was perfect for beach trips, it was so hot and humid (heat index around 110), that i was in the water for 3.5 out of our 4 hours on the beach the first day. Despite reapplication of sunscreen, i managed to get a burn on my face, back, and shoulders. Luckily, i had an under armour running shirt with me that i wore over my bathing suit for all subsequent beach trips. Phew.


Each day i thought about how much i wanted a boogie board. The waves were perfect for it, and i was in the water for so long it would have been nice to have something else to do besides handstands and wave diving. My dad told some poor kid to "watch out with that boogie board. She's been wanting one and might steal it." I finally picked one up for $15.04 at the piggly wiggly, and tried it out this morning. Apparently there were huge thunder/lightning storms at 6:30am, but the weather was perfect- though a bit windy- by the time we got to the beach at 11. I decided riding waves is a lot like sledding- so fun going in/down, and so much work getting back. I'm exhausted. The wind made for extra waves which made getting back into deeper water with a floating board a bit tricky. A few times i almost got the wind knocked out of me when a wave broke slamming hard into my chest. After a few hours and julie getting stung by a jellyfish, i came out for a break. Ten minutes and one huge thunder crack later, the entire beach population headed for cover. The sky was bright blue and sunny over the water, and ridiculously dark over the resort. Luckily we made it back just before the rain and lightning came. Though it was our last beach day and i would have liked a few more hours in the water, it's probably for the best. I'm already sore!


Uh oh.




over resort.............................over beach

No comments:

Post a Comment