Friday, July 9, 2010

new space

I don't like squishy mattresses, especially after purchasing and sleeping on my current firm one. It's fantastic. I downloaded the iphone app "sleep cycle", an amazing thing that monitors your movements while sleeping and gives you a neat graph the next morning. This app confirmed my theory that i sleep poorly on soft mattresses. I toss and turn all night, waking with a crick in my back and a crabby attitude. Thus, after the fourth night of sleeping on one such mattress, i developed super human strength, and shoved my mattress up a very narrow winding stairway (until it got stuck and i got my neighbor to help at 11pm) so the fifth night never happened. Upon getting the mattress up there, i realized that the only way it was going down was through a window. This led to the decision to relocate all my belongings to the third floor- a floor that is empty and never used by others. Within a period of hours, i'd repainted the room, sanded the floors, hung new blinds, moved all my furniture including the box spring (which required removal of staples and dust cover, cutting of three wooden bars, folding in half, tying together, dragging up same narrow winding stairs, unfolding, repairing and restapling), and settled in. Though all that happened fairly quickly, it took another week to finish all the little things like buying and installing new window locks (so no monkeys try to sneak in while i'm sleeping), extricating all my belongings from random 2nd floor closets and relocating them to their new home, and climbing into the attic to adjust the air conditioning/heating dampers to better regulate air flow. Now that it's done, i realize how much i love this stuff. Part of it's the repainting and starting out with a new clean space, but mostly it's the purging of lots of stuff that took up plenty of mental space. Knowing that my belongings are now organized and packaged neatly and that i got rid of five black trash bags of junk lowers some level of anxiety i didn't realize i had. So, tonight when i sleep in my fantastic bed, i expect "sleep cycle" to register an even healthier and more relaxed pattern of sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done! Can't wait to see it :) I say your next project should be to come here and help me figure out what to do with my sandbox of a backyard!

    ReplyDelete