Saturday, January 1, 2011

welcome to my life, 2011


I've never been a huge new year's eve party fan, so when asked if i would work on new year's day, i was happy to do so. Instead of paying an obscene amount to go out in boston or be the designated driver at a friend's party, i spent the evening at my parents' house 40 minutes outside of boston. While i was happy to spend time with my family, my main motivation was getting some dog snuggles from my dog-nephew Rupert, before he and my sister flew back to california this morning. I'm now seriously considering considering getting a dog (and no, no typo there).

Today i remembered being a kid and running around the block on new year's day with old fashioned noisemakers. I'm not sure where my mom got them, but my brother and i always looked forward to it. So while today did not consist of making a ruckus in my old neighborhood, i did realize what i have to look forward to in the new year:
2011 will be the year one of my longest and best-est friends gets married. It's quite possible i am just as excited about this as she is. Being part of the wedding party means i will also (hopefully) have the motivation to take off what i put on during grad school, along with some extra just for kicks. I will get a "real" job, hopefully full time, which means i'll no longer have to pay my own health insurance (just in time too, since the healthcare reform (as much as i like it) means i'm now paying a crapload more to offset everyone else). I will move somewhere else and will be happy with it. I will spend time with my family and friends, and play with new babies yet to be born. I will take trips: to miami, to vermont, to hong kong again, and china (beijing, xi'an and shanghai) for the first real time. I will try to be better at writing and calling people, but probably won't. I will keep up with swimming and will do a mile in under 32 minutes. I will shoot for a triathlon. And i will (maybe) get a dog.

3 comments:

  1. ooooh, definitely get a dog! what kind???

    and i can definitely help you with some china tips if you need. beijing and shanghai are awesome -- they're "must do's". xi'an i would consider totally optional. it's so overrated. the terracotta warriors are crappy. chengdu (pandas!) would be a good substitute. or to anhui to hike the yellow mountain (it's really a mountain range and not a single mountain). or to yunnan to see the ethnic minorities and also shangri-la. --evil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh great! I'll email you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I love that you're so excited too, that means more to me than anything else. Can't wait for March! I promise not to become bridezilla.

    That is an awesome 2011 list, truly.

    ReplyDelete